Lavender Creme Brûlée
Makes 4 single servings.
This recipe is a wonderful vegan option for the classic creme brûlée which generally uses lots of eggs and cream. Using plant based ingredients instead, it is now cholesterol-free. I infused this recipe with lavender to celebrate spring, but it is absolutely scrumptious without it as well.
- 2 cups cold coconut milk, divided (almond or rice milk also works well)
- 2 tablespoons arrowroot starch (can substitute with another starch, if needed)
- 1 14-ounce can full fat coconut milk
- 3 tablespoons cashew butter
- ¼ cup organic raw cane light brown sugar or xylitol
- ¼ cup maple syrup
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 Tablespoons agar flakes OR 1½ teaspoons Vegeset
- ½ ounce dried lavender flower placed in cheese cloth or tea ball
- Edible flowers (optional): chrysanthemum, carnation, dandelion, impatiens, nasturtium, pansy...
- In a small dish, whisk the starch into ½ cup coconut milk beverage.
- In a bowl, combine the remaining 1½ cups milk beverage, coconut milk, cashew butter, brown sugar, maple syrup, vanilla, and agar (or Vegeset). Whiz ingredients in a blender to remove all clumps.
- Pour mixture into a medium pot over medium heat. Place bag or tea ball of lavender into mixture. Whisk continuously while bringing the mixture to nearly boiling, careful not to break apart lavender sachet.
- Slowly, whisk in the coconut milk-starch mixture.
- Continue cooking while whisking for about 3 minutes being careful that the mixture doesn’t boil but stays very hot. It will thicken quickly.
- Remove lavender sachet.
- Pour the mixture into four crème brûlée dishes or ramekins, they will be quite full, and let chill in the refrigerator for at least 6 hours or overnight.
- Just before serving, remove the crème brulees from the refrigerator and let them stand for 5 to 10 minutes to warm up the dishes slightly.
- Sprinkle each with 1 to 2 teaspoons of sugar over tops and using a torch, melt the sugar to form a crispy layer on top. If you don't have a torch, position a rack on the top level in your oven. Turn the oven on to broil, and place the ramekins under the broiler for 2 minutes (this method may soften the crème brûlée a touch).
- Garnish with edible flowers.